Friday, June 10, 2011

Zomg Saison...

Everything about this Saison batch has me fully psyched. I know this seems like a weird thing to be excited about, but this isn't just another batch for me. Idk why this is so exciting... something new? pushing the limits? but it is... in a total nerdy way. Like, the first time I found the hourly weather forecast graph and the full resolution radar loop of the nation on NOAA's website... I mean... pfft , weather graphs? radar? that's total snoozefest, amirite? (convincing?? at all?? ugh, didn't think so...)

Anyway... beer? don't mind if I do... drinking my Witbier 2.0 tonight.

Please hold comments regarding what redic movie is on tv... not my choice, hence the fact that I'm blogging.

Color is great, having a really hard time taking a pic that does it justice. Need to take pic in a full sunny window maybe, I am not a photog nerd... also all pics are taken with my phone, so... it is what it is?

Flavor is much better than the previous inefficient batch. Softer, more balanced, not sure if this is because of the better extraction or bc I let it sit a week longer in primary before kegging... Better mouthfeel and body despite the fact that it fermented down to 1.008, this is probs because of the better extraction? Really happy with carbonation levels, did the same thing as I described in the last batch. Force carb at 30psi and then reduce to a high serving pressure. Good head retention, which is something I have always been underwhelmed with in previous batches. I give it a solid B... I have a few things in mind to tweak the recipe for next time. Also, I now realize that the tablespoon of flour I forgot in the last two batches is completely unnecessary. The haze that is expected for the style is persistent and I don't think it's something I have to worry about...

On to the Saison... I have been fully babying the fermentation temps. I totally intended to graph the temps, but I am not classically trained in MS Excel (hate it) so I will just give super boring narrative... 

I cooled to 75 and pitched my yeast. I set up my swamp cooler and aquarium heater, but it failed.. at first. temp fell to 68 for 12 hours. Then I finally got it working, and got the temp back up to 75 and held it there for 12 more hours. After the first 24 I raised temp as high as the aquarium heater would go. With my thermocouple taped to the side of the bucket and a blanket over the whole thing, I got up to 83 and held for 48 hours. after that fermentation slowed down and temp has held at 80 since.

I opened the bucket tonight to take a gravity sample.
Krausen has fallen, though the ring around the bucket indicates that it was NBD to begin with...

What does that say??? 1.002??? in 6 days??? mmhmm... also, holy crap!

1.061 to 1.004 (corrected for temp) clocks in at 7.5% abv... I can live with that. Also, not 100% sure that it's even completely done. I'll test again in a couple days to find out.

Put gravity sample in freezer for 20 minutes to chill for tasting.

Will reserve full comment on sample for when it is done, kegged and carbed... but very excited! I can get the hints of spice (from the yeast) and malt characters, also, for being this dry, holy body!! I don't think I could be more excited for this beer...

Thinking of next brew, though it might be a few weeks before I brew again (life is busy) but thinking IPA probs an easy traditional style... no pils (90min boil) or 60 minute continuous hopping (love it, but such a PITA) Also, planning to start the keggle. So that's what's coming up... but I guess that's it for tonight, Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment