Saturday, July 2, 2011

When in Maine, drink like the Mainers do...

On mini Maine vaca at family cottage for the holiday weekend, and I wanted to stick to drinking local Maine beer for the duration.

On the way to the cottage I stopped at the Shaw's in town and picked up a mixed 12 pack of Shipyard... Pale Ale, IPA, Export Ale, and Brown Ale... was ok... nothing super exciting...

 View from the back deck...

But! I moseyed across the street  from the cottage (yeah... I mosey... what of it?) to the general store. Browsing the small beer selection I spotted an interesting looking six pack of Baxter Brewing Company's Stowaway IPA in cans. I'm no stranger to craft brew in cans... New England Brewing Company back in CT cans exclusively, and their Ghandi-Bot IPA is amazing...


I popped one of these cans open, took a sniff and a sip... so fresh!! I checked the date on the can, "canned 6/21/11" That's just ten days ago! I poured the second one, pouring from a can is tricky... thick fluffy head that dissipated slowly and left thick lacing, hazy golden honey in color that I associate with my fav IPAs (NEB Ghandi-Bot, Stone Ruination), nice hop aroma, strong malt background, with the perfect amount of bitterness for me... perfect balance for a hophead's IPA. Overall, total A+, this was a great surprise and a highlight of the weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment